Tres elemento di buono assagairre; olio d'olivia, sale, et parmigiano.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Breakfast Potato's with Eggs Benedict Redone

Saturday morning is the time for fun breakfast. I remember that when I was a kid. Saturday morning was the time that my Dad took over the kitchen and made a scrumptious breakfast. Usually it consisted of eggs, bacon, toast, potato's etc. It was always one of my favorite meals of the week. Now that I have my own home I have tried to start to incorporate meal traditions into our family. One of them will be scrumptious, cholesterol filled, and delicious Saturday morning breakfast. This week I tried to make one of my personal favorite breakfasts: Eggs Benedict. I have had many eggs benedict meals at many different restaurants and everyone does it a little different. One of the main components of Eggs Benedict is the Hollandaise Sauce. Be warned. This was my first time making Hollandaise Sauce so I am by no means an expert. I found a recipe and through it sounded good so I tried it. If you know how to make it better or have tips for me that I could improve on what I have done then please let me know.

Ok enough chatter. Let's get to it.

Eggs Benedict:
2 large eggs
1 tomato, sliced
4 slices of bacon
2 english muffins or other kind of toast-able bread
butter for spreading on the toast
2 T of vinegar (any kind)

Hollandaise Sauce:
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup of melted butter
pinch of cilli powder
pinch of salt

For the Hollandaise Sauce:
1. put the egg yolks and the lemon juice into a bowl and whisk together until the yolks become thick and   doubled in volume. About 5 min or so.
2. Get a small sauce pan and put about an inch of water in the bottom and turn  on low. Take the whisked eggs and lemon juice and put them over the saucepan in a metal bowl. The bottom of the bowl should not touch the water. Whisk the mixture and add the butter. Whisking until it thickens further and doubles in size. Be careful not to let it get too hot or else the eggs will scramble.
3. Remove from the heat and add the chili powder and the salt. Mix in. Store in a warm place until you are ready to use it.

Eggs and Bacon:
1. Get a small pot to poach you eggs in.  Fill with water and heat until it boils and then reduce to a simmer. Add the vinegar and a pinch of salt to the water.
2. On the side take a bowl and put ice and water in it. This will be used to blanch the eggs after they are done poaching.
3. Crack the eggs, one at a time into a small bowl and then slowly and gently place the egg into the pot of water. Let it poach for about 4 min. Depending on how you like your eggs you can cook longer or shorter. Very carefully remove from the pot with a spoon and place in a bowl of ice water.
4. Let it sit here for about a min and then remove with a spoon and place on a plate with paper towels to let it dry off.
5. Repeat with the other egg.
6. Toast the Bread
7. Cook the bacon on the stove top and save the bacon grease.

The Benedict:
1. Preheat the oven to Broil
2. Assemble the sandwich by buttering the bread, then place the sliced tomato, the poached egg, bacon and finally the Hollandaise Sauce on top.
3. Place on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil or parchment paper (so you don't have to wash the baking sheet) and put in the oven for about 3 min.  You just want to heat the sandwich a little to melt the hollandaise over the sandwich and heat the tomatoes.

Breakfast Potatoes:
1 large yukon potato or 2 small potatoes of your choice
Rock salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Chili Powder
2 Tbsp of olive oil
Leftover bacon grease

1. Cut the potato into small, square, equal size pieces.
2. While on the cutting board, add salt, pepper, chili powder and olive oil. Move it around the potatoes with your hands to spread out the oil and seasoning.
3. Fry in the bacon grease over medium heat. About 8-10 min until potatoes are cooked and crispy.



Hope you love it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my word that sounds like the best breakfast ever!!! I have never tried to make Hollandise sauce....or eggs benedict. But now I really want to try. Thanks!
    P.S.
    I love your blog, Joey! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks LIz. I am trying to keep it up. I have been a little behind lately. I have all of these recipes and pictures that I want to share. I just need to find time to post them.

    ReplyDelete